viernes, 28 de diciembre de 2012

Elmer Elephant

LOOK AND ANSWER





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fSDRKtWn0 


  • Name of activity: "Elmer Elephant"
  • Level: Sixth grade
  • Aspects of English they’re going to practice: listen, writing, grammar and vocabulary.
  • Tool I’m going to use: whiteboard, Mini-PC, Power-Point and word document.
  • Description of the activity: Students will watch the film on the whiteboard and then, they will make a comment about it working in pairs and filling a chip. They will use Power Point for make the activity, creating a slide for each part of the chip. For this, I will give them necessary instructions (font, size, title, extension ...). The chip must include:
  1. Title
  2. Characters
  3. Place
  4. Main topic
  5. Summary    


And then, we will form three groups. Each group will have to answer several questions about the film, characteres and values in a word document; like this:
 
Questions about the film:
  • Where does Elmer go with flowers?
  • Who gives Elmer the flowers?
  • What do the other animals do?
  • Where does Elmer go when he leaves the party?
  • What happens at Tillie's house?
  • Who saves Tillie?
  • Did you like the movie?
  • What is it that you like best?
  • What about the least?
  • Would you change any event of the movie?
Questions about characters:
  • What is the name of the protagonist?
  • What other characters appear?
  • Where are animals and what are they doing?
  • What is the main feature of the elephant?
  • What is special about the tiger?
  • Do you think the other animals act well? Why?
  • Which character do you like best? Why?
  • And which do you like least and why?
Questions about values:

  • What characters have negative behaviors? What are they?
  • What characters act in a positive way? Why?
  • How do animals behave with Elmer?
  • What feelings are between Elmer and Tillie?
  • How do Elmer and Tillie feel when Elmer gives the flowers?
  • Does tigress like the gift? 
  • How does Elmer feel when animals insult him?
  • Who helps and gives advice to Elmer? 
  • Did you ever feel like Elmer?
  • What positive values ​​appear in the film?
  • What negative values ​​appear in the film?
  • Do you know a “different person”? How do you think you have to treat people different from us?

NOTE: I will show previously the students all the information they have to complete in the power point and in the questions. So they can take notes while watching the film.

6 comentarios:

  1. Good afternoon Celia.

    I am one of your University classmates and I have found this activity really interesting to use with my students.

    I like the different steps you suggest and thinking of it I have come up with some ideas to put it into practice. For example, the film could be watched as a group in the English classroom because it is rather short, and must be put at least twice. But I consider it is necessary to show the students the information they have to complete in the power point previously, in order to help them focus on the facts they need. Furthermore, I will give each student one or two of the questions you propose in the comprehension exercise. They will take some notes and then will say the answer orally to the rest of the class.

    Regards

    Raquel Eslava

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Celia:
    I saw this post really interesting for pupils because they can enjoy watching the film and later answer the questions.
    It is a really good task for working on groups and participate all together sharing their own ideas and comments about the film.

    Thanks for sharing it!

    Kind Regards

    Irene Perez

    If you want to have a look in my blog is

    http://enjoylearningenglishforkids.blogspot.co.uk/

    Thanks!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Good morning Celia

    I like the story very much,although the story has a great message, I think that maybe some students of sixth grade might find this story a little infantile, on the other hand the dialogues seem to me appropriate.

    This is all by me. Have a nice Sundays.

    JORGE A. BLANCO CARIÑANOS

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Congratulations Celia, this activity seems very good and very complete. When we watch a movie in class we do it this way.
    Congratulations on the preparation of the activity.
    Great job!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hi Celia!. Please, can you explain me a little bit what a chip is?. I would like to understand everything before sending you my comments. I find this activity very interesting.
    Thanks. Julia

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Celia! I like so much your activity because it is very complete and you describe it very well. I like that the students have to use PowerPoint Program to elabore one about the film creating a slide for each part of the chip...¡¡good idea!! In this part you are working cooperative learning and the motivation of the students is ensured. Besides that you are working also the comprehension of the film when the pupils have to answer the questions in gruop ¡¡congratulations Celia!! because they will surley improve their listening, writing, speaking and reading skills :-)


    Happy Week!

    Estela García Gil

    ResponderEliminar